Located in inner Southeast Portland, the Hosford-Abernethy neighborhood is a diverse mix of residential, commercial, and industrial activity. Bordered by the Willamette River to the West, Hosford-Abernethy (or HAND for short) is also bound by Powell Boulevard to the South, Hawthorne Boulevard to the north, and SE 29th Avenue to the East.
The north central area of the neighborhood, with its distinctive X-shaped street pattern, is known as Ladd’s Addition. It is Portland’s oldest planned residential development, and one of the oldest in the Western United States. The neighborhood is known in Portland for a diagonal street pattern, which is at odds with the rectilinear grid of the surrounding area.
The homes in the neighborhood, mostly developed between 1905 and 1930, are an architecturally rich mix of compatible early 20th century styles quintessential to Portland, such as: bungalow, craftsman, American Foursquare, mission, tudor, and Colonial Revival.